When it comes to choosing the type of material for your exterior cladding, you will invariably want a material that will not catch moisture and termites and yet look aesthetically beautiful. The cladding is a critical choice in determining how a building holds up and how much upkeep will be required to maintain it. Today’s cladding choices are more varied than ever, offering better technical protection but also more aesthetic options.
As such, there are various materials available to be used as exterior wall cladding such as stone, metal, brick, vinyl, wood, gypsum & fibre cement. Out of these, the most popular types of materials preferred for exterior cladding panels are two, Gypsum boards and Fibre Cement Boards. All these materials look similar from the outside which might confuse the common user but differ in their properties. Of late, fibre cement board has been catching up more popularity with architects, realizing the multiple benefits it has over other varieties of materials. Here is a brief comparison between Fibre cement and Gypsum boards.
- The make: Fibre cement board is a building material made of reinforced fibre, cement, and quartz sand. Reinforcing fibre with cement contributes to the strength of the material making it a strong and long-lasting choice for cladding and roofing. While Gypsum boards, also known as drywalls, are panels made of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper. They are very commonly employed to construct interior walls and ceilings. While a Fibre Cement Board and a Gypsum Board can both be used in similar applications such as cladding and roofing, there are certain differences between the two. Let us try to understand these on the basis of parameters./li>
- Durability: When it comes to being durable, Fibre cement boards are far more long-lasting and efficient that gypsum boards. This is because of the mesh-like molecular structure of the components which provide strength and flexibility to the fibre cement sheets.
- Resistivity to weather changes: When it comes to weather, every roof experiences at least 3 elements of nature viz. the wind, water, and heat. Fibre cement boards exhibit excellent resistivity towards all these. They are highly water-resistant which helps to avoid the growth of moulds and mildews on the roof surface. Gypsum boards are not naturally waterproof but have to be coated with water-resistant material to make them resist water up to a certain extent. Due to the fibre in the Fibre cement, the exterior cladding panels resist heat better than gypsum boards, thereby insulating the room and keeping the temperature regulated even during hot summers. Additionally, Fibre cement boards are used as sound-absorbent drywall partition, allowing the sound to soak inside the walls like a sponge soaking water.
- Porosity: Gypsum boards are more porous than Fibre cement boards. This makes gypsum boards easy to cut even with a knife while Fibre cement boards might require a saw. They are also easier to fit simply using taper-head drywall screws. Fibre cement boards have to be installed by professionals.
- Environmental safety: Fibre cement boards are environmentally safe. Fibre cement boards are made of fibre and cement which is organically produced and is much less harmful to nature. They are truly a revolutionary product replacing many of the traditional resources like wood and cement. Fibre cement boards are made of fibre and cement which are organically produced and are much less harmful to nature. The EcoPro Fibre Cement Sheet is even awarded the GreenPro Certification as an assertion of its environmental safety right from the production to the disposal. On the other hand, Gypsum Plasterboard is versatile & recyclable too but uses considerable energy in a process that also can cause toxicity to land and eutrophication of water.
If you are looking for eco-friendly, durable and long-lasting cladding solutions, EcoPro is a manufacturer of the all-purpose fibre cement boards. Fibre cement claddings are not only an ideal choice but also a wise one. Contact us today!
While home interiors personify your private world, home exteriors are the connection to the outside world. Your exterior is the first impression to the outsiders and here you would surely not like to fail!
There are multiple material options available for crafting timeless designs for home exteriors but when it comes to striking a balance between perfect architecture, affordability, and functional stability, it’s the Fibre cement exterior cladding panels that take the lead. They are a durable, low-cost alternative to extravagant cladding options like stone and wood and are excellent for adding a tinge of style to your home.
A Truly Multipurpose Board:
Fibre cement board today is being viewed as one of the best building material that is outperforming other traditional solutions. Hence, it’s widely used for different applications in building and construction and beyond.
- Shakes and Shingles: Creating an attractive and classy look for facades is easier with fibre cement shakes and shingles. You can easily imitate the stunning wood-like appearance with these shingles and shakes without actually shelling out a hefty amount on original wood, causing stress on the environment. The product is standardly available in individual pieces and panels, and are suitable for small and large facades. Coming in a variety of shapes – straight edge, staggered edge and half-round shaped and more, they offer an opportunity to create striking architecture that’s a sheer delight.
- Horizontal Lap Siding: Horizontal or lap siding is one of the most popular choices when it comes to residential siding. Most of the lap sidings are bevelled which means the panels are bit thicker at the bottom than at the top. Installed from the bottom-up, each subsequent panel is placed overlapping the previous one. They come in different widths and a variety of edge patterns like straight or beaded that allow you to experiment with interesting looks.
- Shiplap Siding: Unlike horizontal lap siding, where the panels overlap each other, the shiplap profile is edged-matched for a tight joint appearance. Installed using tongue and groove system in most cases, these sidings create a clean and smooth surface, adding a contemporary flair to your homes.
- Vertical Siding: If you want to opt for a more traditional or rustic broad and batten style then vertical siding is just the right option to choose. It adds a streamlined, distinctive rustic appeal to your home. You can also be a bit creative and try combining a vertical profile with other siding styles. This innovative idea may result in something really unique and captivating, making your exteriors stand out.
- Soffit: Fibre Cement soffits found along the eave area do more than just enhancing the visual appeal of your home exterior. Available in vented and non-vented styles, they protect your exteriors from pests and also gives you a way to disguise ventilation for your attic. The vented style allows better air control flow through your building.
Sahyadri Industries Ltd is one of the leading manufacturers of EcoPro fibre cement cladding and is known for its top-notch products. EcoPro products are defined by aesthetics, uncompromised performance, and unrivalled designs. Be it interior cladding, drywall partition, facade etc., the range can help your architect craft the best structure. Accentuate your home interior/exterior with EcoPro and enjoy the element of real architectural beauty!
EcoPro Fibre Cement-The Best Choice for Claddings/Sidings
When you want to create architecturally correct and visually appealing homes, EcoPro fibre cement sheet is the right pick because they meet all the criteria you are looking for. Here are some of the properties that make them every architect’s preferred choice.
- Owing to their rugged nature, EcoPro fibre cement claddings are impact and abrasion-resistant that ensure high durability and longer life.
- EcoPro Fibre cement siding is safe from warping and rotting.
- Unlike other building materials, they are non-hazardous to health.
- They are easy to install, maintain and repair.
- Resistant to moisture and high temperatures, they provide protection against external weather conditions.
- Offers multitudes of patterns and styles open for a creative approach.
EcoPro is committed to offering sustainable building materials solutions that offer beauty, style, and performance. EcoPro fibre cement boards have the GreenPro Ecolabel and one of the premium fibre cement boards to guarantee contribution to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environment Design) credits on every project.
Right kind of cladding can make your home stand out in your neighbourhood. Whether limited to specific portions or applied to the entire exterior structure, cladding is the best home enhancing solution that reflects your individual style. While there are ample of cladding materials available like wood, metal, brick, and more, fibre cement sheet is gaining immense popularity among homeowners as well as builders due to its in-built qualities.
Six Benefits of Fibre Cement Cladding
- Longer Shelf Life: Fibre cement claddings are the most durable cladding options available. A composite product of sand, cement, and cellulose fibres, these claddings enjoy better sustainability and resistance to harsh weather, wear and tear, and termites when compared to other materials. These intrinsic qualities make fibre cement cladding ideal for all types of structures including commercial structures like hotels, offices, schools, hospitals, etc.
- Versatility in Style: With fibre cement cladding you get to explore multiple home exterior styles and finishing. Exterior paint is easily applied with its wide range of colors and patterns adding that extra edge to your home. Fibre cement cladding also offers you with a wide array of finishes, ranging from smooth to highly textured surfaces. You can experiment with these exciting patterns to create an appealing look for your home.
- Best Way to Emulate the Organic Look: For all those who wish to give a traditional, classy wooden or stone-like appearance to their home exterior, fibre cement is the right choice. The versatile texture of fibre cement sheet can be streamlined to mimic a natural wood feel or add a stone-look appearance.
- Water Resistant: Unlike concrete ceilings that are prone to soaking moisture, resulting in the development of mold and ugly patches in room corners, fibre cement cladding offers ideal moisture-proof solutions. EcoPro water-resistant fibre cement cladding are therefore ideally suited to even in damp prone areas like washrooms, kitchens and other areas exposed to water.
- Fire-Proof: When it comes to building a safe home, fire resistant material is the top priority. EcoPro is fire-resistant and are ideal for places where exposure to fire hazard are imminent, like the areas near your electrical junction box, switches and electrical fittings.
- Minimal Maintenance: An additional benefit of using fibre cement cladding is that it requires minimal maintenance requirement. Unlike wood, fibre cement material does not require regular treatment or repainting. The finishing doesn’t crack or peel prematurely as fibre cement boards are environmentally stable. Moreover, there is no expensive pressure washing needed like in vinyl and aluminium cladding.
- Quick and Tidy Installation: Fibre cement cladding is quick and easy to install. Its lightweight feature ensures minimal load imposed on the structure to which it is to be attached. This is not all; the cutting and drilling processes do not kick up a lot of dust as other materials do. Its installation comes with minimal mess, fuss, and wastage.
With all these advantages, fibre cement cladding is most likely to become an indispensable part of mainstream construction in days to come!
Fibre Cement Panels are panels that are composed of sand, cement and cellulose fibres which act as reinforcement. These panels are used as an external cladding material in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Fibre cement sheet or Fibre Cement board as it is frequently referred to, normally come in the form of planks and panels along with various texture details. Fibre cement planks are made to mimic longer wooden planks and are frequently used in place of the latter. Panels are larger in size than planks, commonly measuring 4 ft x 8 ft. They are used to cover a broader surface area per piece and are often employed in place of vertical cladding siding & exterior cladding panels.
Properties of fibre cement cladding
One of the most sought after attributes of Fibre cement is its dimensional stability. In other words, Fibre Cement cladding’s do not contract and expand, unlike other traditional materials. This property is favourable, especially for paint. Paint in itself is bad at stretching. Hence, it does not stretch and contract according to the surface it is put on. Instead, it chips and cracks, prompting the need to repaint after some period of time. Fibre cement does not shift shape as much, thereby exerting the paint lesser than its counterparts.
Comes in various styles
Fibre cement doesn’t just mimic wood, but also stones and bricks. Sahyadri industries make a variety of fibre cement panels in wood, stone and brick patterns. The brick patterns come in a variety of hues from shades of red to tan. The EcoPro boards are durable, easy to work with and available in a wide range of colors and finishes to suit traditional and modern design schemes. It is versatile and cost-effective enough to be used for large and small projects.
Another great feature of fibre cement boards is its property of water resistance. The cement binder present does not let it rust or rot. As an exterior cladding material, fibre cement boards are the best option to be used in areas of high rainfall and wet humid conditions. Property developers, builders, and contractors are increasingly using Fibre cement for cladding purposes for all these benefits.
The maintenance, too, is simple which involves nothing more than an annual wash with mildly soapy water. Less maintenance means no need to tackle rot or warp due to weathering or water damage. If that wasn’t enough, Fibre-cement cladding installed correctly works as an effective termite barrier.
Here is why fibre cement sheet is the right choice for exterior wall cladding
- Highly durable, long-lasting and easy to maintain.
- Possesses acoustic properties, can be used as sound absorbing panels.
- Displays resilience against harsh weather conditions such as heat, fire, and water.
- It carries a rating of Class 1(A) fire/flame spread which is the highest level of fire protection.
- They are completely termite resistant and can be used in place of termite proof plywood.
- They are resistant to cracks, swelling, and warping, thereby displaying dimensional stability. Once installed these panels can be painted, wallpapered or given any other decorative treatment. The Paint holds on very well the surface.
- They have a great aesthetic appeal as they can replace components like wood, stone, etc. as the boards are lighter to work with yet offering structural stability and strength.