Fibre cement panels are composed of sand, cement and cellulose fibres which act as reinforcement. These panels are used as an exterior wall cladding material in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Fibre cement sheet or Fibre Cement boards as it is frequently referred to, normally come in the form of planks and panels along with various texture details. Fibre cement planks are made to mimic longer wooden planks and are frequently used in place of the latter. Panels are larger in size than planks, commonly measuring 4 ft x 8 ft. They are used to cover a broader surface area per piece and are often employed in place of vertical cladding siding & exterior wall cladding panels.
Properties of fibre cement exterior wall cladding
One of the most sought-after attributes of fibre cement is its dimensional stability. In other words, fibre cement based exterior wall cladding does not contract and expand, unlike exterior wall cladding panels made with traditional materials. This property is favourable, especially for paint. Paint in itself is bad at stretching. Hence, it does not stretch and contract according to the surface it is put on. Instead, it chips and cracks, prompting for the need to repaint after some period of time. Fibre cement does not shift shape as much, thereby exerting the paint lesser than its counterparts.
Comes in various styles
Fibre cement doesn’t just mimic wood, but also stones and bricks. Sahyadri industries make a variety of fibre cement panels in wood, stone and brick patterns, that are perfect for exterior wall cladding purposes. The brick patterns come in a variety of hues from shades of red to tan. The EcoPro boards are durable, easy to work with and available in a wide range of colours and finishes to suit traditional and modern design schemes. It is versatile and cost-effective enough to be used for large and small projects.
Another great feature of fibre cement sheet is its property of water resistance. The cement binder present does not let it rust or rot. As an exterior wall cladding material, fibre cement boards are the best option to be used in areas of high rainfall and wet humid conditions. Property developers, builders, and contractors are increasingly using fibre cement for cladding purposes for all these benefits.
The maintenance for fibre cement exterior wall cladding is very simple as it involves nothing more than an annual wash with mildly soapy water. Less maintenance means no need to tackle rot or warp due to weathering or water damage. If that wasn’t enough, fibre-cement cladding installed correctly works as an effective termite barrier.
Here’s why fibre cement sheets are the right choice for exterior wall cladding
- Highly durable, long-lasting and easy to maintain.
- Possesses acoustic properties, can be used as sound absorbing panels.
- This type of exterior wall cladding shows high resilience against harsh weather conditions such as heat, fire, and water.
- It carries a rating of Class 1(A) fire/flame spread which is the highest level of fire protection.
- With fibre cement, exterior wall cladding panels are completely termite resistant and can be used in place of termite proof plywood.
- Such exterior wall cladding panels are resistant to cracks, swelling, and warping, thereby displaying dimensional stability. Once installed these panels can be painted, wallpapered or given any other decorative treatment. The Paint holds on very well on the exterior wall cladding
- Fibre cement panels have a great aesthetic appeal as they can replace components like wood, stone, etc. Also, the boards are lighter to work with, and yet offer high structural stability and strength in exterior wall cladding