The construction industry has been evolving with time, seamlessly incorporating changes to meet the dynamic market demands. From technological advancements to energy savings and sustainable solutions, the construction industry has addressed challenges and issues by resorting to innovative solutions.
Ventilated facades are one of the construction methods that is gaining popularity among architects and contractors due to its range of benefits like thermal and acoustic isolation and multiple aesthetic possibilities.
What is ventilated facade?
At its very basic, the ventilated facade is a system which consists of two layers of facades separated by an air cavity. This air chamber created between the insulation material and the exterior cladding prevents the rainwater from affecting the interiors and simultaneously diffuses water vapour from the inside to the outside.
Made from fibre cement board or any other material, these facades create a natural ventilation phenomenon that facilitates temperature balance between the interior and exterior of the building. While the external cladding offers rain and wind protection, the air chamber between the support structure and the external cladding provides a “heat shield” for the building, keeping it cool even when temperatures are high outside.
Why Ventilated Facade is Gaining Popularity?
- Thermal Insulation: The air chamber created by the ventilated facades sets up natural ventilation process that perfectly regulates the heating-cooling cycles of air. During summers or hotter days, the ventilated facade keeps the building cool by reflecting the solar radiation and promoting constant ventilation of air. Whereas during winters or cold weathers, the walls retain heat and keep the building warm.
- Aesthetic Value: Aesthetic appeal continues to lure the market. There is a wide range of options available in terms of designs, colors, and textures. You can experiment with different styles and patterns to make ventilated facade attractive. EcoPro fibre cement sheet gives you the opportunity to create an appealing facade that can grab all eyeballs. Be it residential, commercial or industrial, you can transform the building into a modern and functionally smart structure with a well-designed ventilated facade.
- Waterproofing: Dampness and development of ugly patches on the wall is something we all detest for sure. With the installation of the ventilated facade, we can definitely counter this issue. The air circulation taking place between the cladding and the external wall facilitates easy evaporation thus, ensuring drywalls.
- Acoustic Isolation: External noises like the sound of blaring horns, aircraft sounds or any other disturbing sounds emerging from the surroundings can be curtailed with the ventilated facade. Being a multiple-layered system, the facade offers higher noise absorption, resulting in continuous insulation and eliminating acoustic bridges. Furthermore, the use of sound-absorbent material that can create the effect of soundproof wall panels can also help reduce decibel levels.
- Energy savings: Ventilated facades can improve the thermal behaviour of the entire building. With ventilated facade, you tend to gain on energy-saving quotient. The air cavity created with ventilated facade improves thermo-regulation that makes buildings more energy-efficient. Ventilated facade reduces the requirement of air conditioning and heating consumption by around 30%. This ensures maximum energy savings at the coldest and hottest times of the year.
- Hides Flaws of Building Services: The ventilated façade can also be used to camouflage the building’s unpleasant services like electrical, gas or plumbing installations. Improving the aesthetic appearance of the building, these facades are deftly structured constructions that hide the flaws and irregularities of the building walls.
- Durability.: The natural bottom-to-top airflow through the air cavity avoids moisture accumulation on the facades and prevents mold and water ingress. This prolongs the structural strength and the lifespan of a building. When made from fibre cement fire resistant board, these facades are highly resistant to abrasion and do not lose its aesthetic value with time despite constant exposure to the sun.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance: Ventilated facades made of fibre cement sheets enjoy the benefits of easy installation and hassle-free maintenance. These sheets are light in weight and can be easily installed. Moreover, in case of any damage or repair, replacement is quick and economical.
In a nutshell, the ventilated facade can turn out to be the ideal construction solution when the right material goes into its making. EcoPro fibre cement boards with its versatile finishing options, high resistant features and durability can be the right choice for creating a perfect ventilated facade for your building.
Right kind of cladding can make your home stand out in your neighbourhood. Whether limited to specific portions or applied to the entire exterior structure, cladding is the best home enhancing solution that reflects your individual style. While there are ample of cladding materials available like wood, metal, brick, and more, fibre cement sheet is gaining immense popularity among homeowners as well as builders due to its in-built qualities.
Six Benefits of Fibre Cement Cladding
- Longer Shelf Life: Fibre cement claddings are the most durable cladding options available. A composite product of sand, cement, and cellulose fibres, these claddings enjoy better sustainability and resistance to harsh weather, wear and tear, and termites when compared to other materials. These intrinsic qualities make fibre cement cladding ideal for all types of structures including commercial structures like hotels, offices, schools, hospitals, etc.
- Versatility in Style: With fibre cement cladding you get to explore multiple home exterior styles and finishing. Exterior paint is easily applied with its wide range of colors and patterns adding that extra edge to your home. Fibre cement cladding also offers you with a wide array of finishes, ranging from smooth to highly textured surfaces. You can experiment with these exciting patterns to create an appealing look for your home.
- Best Way to Emulate the Organic Look: For all those who wish to give a traditional, classy wooden or stone-like appearance to their home exterior, fibre cement is the right choice. The versatile texture of fibre cement sheet can be streamlined to mimic a natural wood feel or add a stone-look appearance.
- Water Resistant: Unlike concrete ceilings that are prone to soaking moisture, resulting in the development of mold and ugly patches in room corners, fibre cement cladding offers ideal moisture-proof solutions. EcoPro water-resistant fibre cement cladding are therefore ideally suited to even in damp prone areas like washrooms, kitchens and other areas exposed to water.
- Fire-Proof: When it comes to building a safe home, fire resistant material is the top priority. EcoPro is fire-resistant and are ideal for places where exposure to fire hazard are imminent, like the areas near your electrical junction box, switches and electrical fittings.
- Minimal Maintenance: An additional benefit of using fibre cement cladding is that it requires minimal maintenance requirement. Unlike wood, fibre cement material does not require regular treatment or repainting. The finishing doesn’t crack or peel prematurely as fibre cement boards are environmentally stable. Moreover, there is no expensive pressure washing needed like in vinyl and aluminium cladding.
- Quick and Tidy Installation: Fibre cement cladding is quick and easy to install. Its lightweight feature ensures minimal load imposed on the structure to which it is to be attached. This is not all; the cutting and drilling processes do not kick up a lot of dust as other materials do. Its installation comes with minimal mess, fuss, and wastage.
With all these advantages, fibre cement cladding is most likely to become an indispensable part of mainstream construction in days to come!
Fibre Cement Panels are panels that are composed of sand, cement and cellulose fibers which act as reinforcement. These panels are used as an external cladding material in residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Fibre cement sheets or Fibre Cement boards as they are frequently referred to, normally come in the form of planks and panels along with various texture details. Fiber cement planks are made to mimic longer wooden planks and are frequently used in place of the latter. Panels are larger in size than planks, commonly measuring 4 ft x 8 ft. They are used to cover a broader surface area per piece and are often employed in place of vertical cladding siding & exterior cladding panels.
Properties of Fibre cement cladding
One of the most sought after attributes of Fibre cement is its dimensional stability. In other words, Fibre Cement cladding’s do not contract and expand, unlike other traditional materials. This property is favorable, especially for paint. Paint in itself is bad at stretching. Hence, it does not stretch and contract according to the surface it is put on. Instead, it chips and cracks, prompting the need to repaint after some period of time. Fibre cement does not shift shape as much, thereby exerting the paint lesser than its counterparts.
Comes in various styles
Fiber cement doesn’t just mimic wood, but also stones and bricks. Sahyadri industries make a variety of fiber cement panels in wood, stone and brick patterns. The brick patterns come in a variety of hues from shades of red to tan. The ECOPRO boards are durable, easy to work with and available in a wide range of colors and finishes to suit traditional and modern design schemes. It is versatile and cost-effective enough to be used for large and small projects.
(Another great feature of fibre cement boards is its property of water resistance) The cement binder present does not let it rust or rot. As an exterior cladding material, fibre cement boards are the best option to be used in areas of high rainfall and wet humid conditions. Property developers, Builders, and contractors are increasingly using Fibre cement for cladding purposes for all these benefits.
The maintenance, too, is simple which involves nothing more than an annual wash with mildly soapy water. Less maintenance means no need to tackle rot or warp due to weathering or water damage. If that wasn’t enough, Fibre-cement cladding installed correctly works as an effective termite barrier.
Here is why fiber cement cladding is the right choice
- Highly durable, long lasting and easy to maintain.
- Possesses acoustic properties, acting as soundproof walls.
- Displays resilience against harsh weather conditions such as heat, fire, and water.
- It carries a rating of Class 1(A) fire/flame spread which is the highest level of fire protection.
- They are completely termite resistant and can be used in place of termite proof plywood.
- They are resistant to cracks, swelling, and warping, thereby displaying dimensional stability. Once installed these panels can be painted, wallpapered or given any other decorative treatment. The Paint holds on very well the surface.
- They have a great aesthetic appeal as they can replace components like wood, stone, etc. as the boards are lighter to work with yet offering structural stability and strength.