The construction industry has been evolving with time, seamlessly incorporating changes to meet the dynamic market demands. From technological advancements to energy savings and sustainable solutions, the construction industry has addressed challenges and issues by resorting to innovative solutions.
Ventilated facades are one of the construction methods that is gaining popularity among architects and contractors due to its range of benefits like thermal and acoustic isolation and multiple aesthetic possibilities.
What is ventilated facade?
At its very basic, the ventilated facade is a system which consists of two layers of facades separated by an air cavity. This air chamber created between the insulation material and the exterior cladding prevents the rainwater from affecting the interiors and simultaneously diffuses water vapour from the inside to the outside.
Made from fibre cement board or any other material, these facades create a natural ventilation phenomenon that facilitates temperature balance between the interior and exterior of the building. While the external cladding offers rain and wind protection, the air chamber between the support structure and the external cladding provides a “heat shield” for the building, keeping it cool even when temperatures are high outside.
Why Ventilated Facade is Gaining Popularity?
- Thermal Insulation: The air chamber created by the ventilated facades sets up natural ventilation process that perfectly regulates the heating-cooling cycles of air. During summers or hotter days, the ventilated facade keeps the building cool by reflecting the solar radiation and promoting constant ventilation of air. Whereas during winters or cold weathers, the walls retain heat and keep the building warm.
- Aesthetic Value: Aesthetic appeal continues to lure the market. There is a wide range of options available in terms of designs, colors, and textures. You can experiment with different styles and patterns to make ventilated facade attractive. EcoPro fibre cement sheet gives you the opportunity to create an appealing facade that can grab all eyeballs. Be it residential, commercial or industrial, you can transform the building into a modern and functionally smart structure with a well-designed ventilated facade.
- Waterproofing: Dampness and development of ugly patches on the wall is something we all detest for sure. With the installation of the ventilated facade, we can definitely counter this issue. The air circulation taking place between the cladding and the external wall facilitates easy evaporation thus, ensuring drywalls.
- Acoustic Isolation: External noises like the sound of blaring horns, aircraft sounds or any other disturbing sounds emerging from the surroundings can be curtailed with the ventilated facade. Being a multiple-layered system, the facade offers higher noise absorption, resulting in continuous insulation and eliminating acoustic bridges. Furthermore, the use of sound-absorbent material that can create the effect of soundproof wall panels can also help reduce decibel levels.
- Energy savings: Ventilated facades can improve the thermal behaviour of the entire building. With ventilated facade, you tend to gain on energy-saving quotient. The air cavity created with ventilated facade improves thermo-regulation that makes buildings more energy-efficient. Ventilated facade reduces the requirement of air conditioning and heating consumption by around 30%. This ensures maximum energy savings at the coldest and hottest times of the year.
- Hides Flaws of Building Services: The ventilated façade can also be used to camouflage the building’s unpleasant services like electrical, gas or plumbing installations. Improving the aesthetic appearance of the building, these facades are deftly structured constructions that hide the flaws and irregularities of the building walls.
- Durability.: The natural bottom-to-top airflow through the air cavity avoids moisture accumulation on the facades and prevents mold and water ingress. This prolongs the structural strength and the lifespan of a building. When made from fibre cement fire resistant board, these facades are highly resistant to abrasion and do not lose its aesthetic value with time despite constant exposure to the sun.
- Easy Installation and Maintenance: Ventilated facades made of fibre cement sheets enjoy the benefits of easy installation and hassle-free maintenance. These sheets are light in weight and can be easily installed. Moreover, in case of any damage or repair, replacement is quick and economical.
In a nutshell, the ventilated facade can turn out to be the ideal construction solution when the right material goes into its making. EcoPro fibre cement boards with its versatile finishing options, high resistant features and durability can be the right choice for creating a perfect ventilated facade for your building.